Today on the way home from our 'morning tea excursion' (another story in itself), I looked in the rear view mirror to see that my little boy was fast asleep. Andrew's company has been providing a rental car for us and we just got a different car this past week. It's a nice car (despite the fact that it's BRIGHT green and has a spoiler), but it's an Australian car which means that our American car seat doesn't compliment it too well. Rear-facing has proved impossible so Micah is now forward facing and it seems to have solved our 'I hate the car' issue. Most parents know that a 'car nap' has the potential to cause havoc. The kid may only get a 5 minute snooze in the car but it's enough to get them energized and refuse their normal nap (or at least for Micah). So, seeing him sound asleep, I yell, 'NOOOOOOOO! Micah, WAKE UP!!' The kid, still w/ his eyes closed, starts smiling. Every time I yell, 'Wake up!' he grins. Eventually, he's so knocked out, there's no response. I arrive home 10 minutes later contemplating what to do. Do I sit in the car? Try to get him inside? I decide that sitting in the car is ridiculous so I gently get him unbuckled, out of the car, carry him to the elevator, take the elevator to our floor, take FOREVER to unlock the darn door w/ our keys that stick, and lay him out on Andrew and I's bed. Kid didn't even move. Amazing. I close the door, not expecting the usual nap. You should know - when Micah wakes from a nap, it's a dramatic event. Doesn't matter how long he sleeps for. He wakes up and screams as if the world is ending. I think he wakes up and is annoyed that he's slept and missed out on stuff cuz he looks just devastated when I go to get him. Some people would say that he hasn't gotten enough rest but Micah could nap for 2 hrs and he'd still wake up screaming. Always has. There's usual some intense cuddling and a cookie after a nap. :) All this to say I was confident he would let me know when he woke up. Thankfully, Micah decided to take his usual nap - these days he takes only one nap and they're anywhere between 40 minutes - 1 hour and a half. Lately, it's been more of an hour and a half and that's amazing for my little boy. If you have kids and they nap longer than that, consider yourself extremely lucky. I decided to catch up on some overdue email while he slept. An hour and a half later, I hear a clink. I didn't really register the noise until I heard footsteps. Panicking, I remember that I forgot to lock the door and think there's someone in the apartment (overactive imagination). I freeze trying to think what to do. I slowly turn and see a little boy sauntering down the hall as if it is perfectly nature for a 14 month old to wake up, get out of bed, OPEN THE DOOR (granted they're lever handles), and walk into the living room. !!!! He seemed quite pleased, needless to say.
Micah seems to be full of surprises lately. Some of them are not too 'yay!' provoking ie: he's learned how to turn on the stove, screw off the top of my make-up remover, and pull off the drain cover on the bathroom floor which essentially becomes a huge HOLE (and he's figured out how to rip the scotch tape that I used to 'solve' the problem). Now he knows how to open doors, apparently. He's also been extremely interested in how to latch his booster seat which he is able to do with my help. It makes me nervous since he's been studying me with that same intensity as I latch him into his car seat. Andrew and I have discussed this and Andrew assures me he won't have the strength to unlatch himself anytime soon. :/ Other surprises make us happy: we love it when he gives us kisses = he doesn't know how to do the 'kiss' noise so he just smacks his lips together. Every night when I say good-night to him, I blow him a kiss. Yesterday night, he blew me a kiss which totally melted my heart (although he blew a kiss to a random woman he befriended at the doctor's office today which kind of lessened the thrill). :) He's definitely developing his own opinions on subjects which is a struggle at times (why can't I rip the fire extinguisher off the wall???). Life isn't always rosy, that's for sure. Not always rosy, but sweet still.
Alright, that's the Micah update for this month. :) He sends you all a lip-smacking kiss. :)
Wow, Micah is a screamer after naps, too?!? J has always done that and everyone tells me he needs to sleep longer. I'm glad I'm not the only one that bribes J with cookies after his nap to calm him down!
ReplyDelete