Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Socialized Medicine

Did you know that here in Australia, if you need to see a pediatrician for something like behavioral issues you have to wait 6 months for an appointment?? Australian children typically go to a GP for appointments. I've mentioned before that the pediatrician is only if you need specialized care and you first have to get your referral from the GP. I called the pediatrician's office for an appointment and she told me flat out that they were 'very busy,' and that our appointment would be weeks if not months away. I'm going to assume that physical health issues are placed higher on the priority list but when she told me that someone calling about behavioral issues wouldn't see a pediatrician for 6 months I almost choked. Can't imagine the poor parents having to wait that long for help they desperately need. My girlfriends little boy had a horrible allergic reaction to eggs - swelled up like a balloon and needed an ambulance. This happened about 6 weeks ago and she and her little bub are finally going to their scheduled appointment with the immunologist. I wonder how many physical and emotional conditions get worse as everyone waits for their m.d. visit. True, they eventually get the appointment but if you or someone you love have a condition that needs immediate care and you're waiting and waiting for a m.d. visit for a label or diagnosis.....

P.S: thankfully, we didn't need an appointment with the king/pediatrician

1 comment:

  1. Geez thats terrible!!! I hope you guys stay healthy! Although probably half of what I run to the pediatrician about would probably resolve itself in a few days. But how am I supposed to know that :)

    ReplyDelete